another abundance.

1 Corinthians 4.9-13

..for it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession like men condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to men. We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless. When we are persecuted we endure it. When we are slandered we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world…


I think I must have fallen asleep during this lesson in Sunday school class. Somehow, I missed this part. Because over the past few years, I have faced some difficult days and for whatever reason, the framework I was using to understand those confusing times wasn’t the one above. I thought hard times were a sign that I had done something wrong, or that God was radically displeased with me, or that I had better figure out how to get myself out of the mess I had made.

I thought being a Christian, while it would permit the normal trials of life, would protect me from certain disasters. So, when my life became so hard and trying and painful, I assumed it was a sign of moral weakness and spiritual failure. I thought my poverty lifestyle meant I had messed up and God was just handing me over to my mistakes. It took lots of time in the Word of God and with more mature Christians, and some serious effort at redefining my understanding of my faith, to apply what Paul is saying above to my life. Once I started seeing my struggles as Paul saw his, I found freedom and life and healing flowing into every area of my life!

You see, over the past few years, I felt like a fool. I was weak. I was dishonored. I was hungry and thirsty, homeless, cursed, persecuted, slandered. I felt like the scum of the earth on a good day. Paul’s description of his own suffering closely resembled my own. Through Paul’s words, I began to find purpose in my pain.

Yesterday Penny and I were walking, and I was telling her about how God has brought us into a season of financial blessing (in response to her question: “Ashley, are we still poor?”ha!). She started talking about poverty and wealth, as most 15-year-olds do ;) and she said she has a friend whose family has all the money in the world but they are so unhappy. She said, “I just don’t get it. I mean, we’ve had no money and been so poor for so long, yet we’ve had so much fun. It’s almost like we knew how to make it because we we had one another. We may have been poor with money, but we were so rich in other ways. We knew how to make that last slice of bread a feast!”

This was a really good lesson for me. Not that wealth and abundance are bad, but neither are the lack of them. Paul considered himself fortunate either way. His bank account said nothing about his relationship with God, his eternal destiny, or the value of his missionary lifestyle.

I guess Christ wasn’t talking about cash money when He said that He came to give us abundant life. I think He meant something else. I think He meant we could feel abundant regardless of the situation, that somehow our outer reality didn’t necessarily define our eternal one. With our joy, identity, and purpose rooted in the love of Christ, that last slice of bread really can be a feast!

“I repent of my pursuit of America’s dream. I repent for living like I deserve anything: my house, my fence, my kids, my wife and our suburb where we’re safe and white. Oh I am wrong and of these things I repent.” --I Repent, Derek Webb.

Comments

  1. Beautiful, Ashley. Thank you for these words! Penny sounds like she is wise beyond her years. :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to be on your adventure. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Ashley. I want to meet your sweet Penny one day, too. You know I love me some "deep roots!" Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. Really good stuff. I'm proud of you. dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know that you were asleep when this sermon was preached, because if you were in America, I'm not sure that it was ever preached at all...

    Matthew 8:19-20
    New International Version (NIV)
    19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” 20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

    Mark 10
    The Rich and the Kingdom of God

    17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
    18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”

    20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

    21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

    22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

    23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

    24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

    26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”

    27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

    28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!”

    29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

    1 John 4:17- In this world we are like Jesus.

    But many people in this world are not like Jesus. They prefer comfort.

    1 Peter 4
    Suffering for Being a Christian

    12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And,
    “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
    what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”[a]

    19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

    You didn't miss these sermons. They weren't ever preached.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)