it's not work when it makes you come alive.

One of the most regular parts of my job at Beth Rapha is joining them in visiting different churches in Cape Town. Sometimes I'm one of the drivers and we pile in a few cars to go to a baptism of one of our guys. Other times, we all hop on the train and travel to the farthest southern point of cape town for church at Calvary Chapel Kommetjie, with hot dogs for lunch! I'm always blessed by this bonus-work-day, because my job isn't a job to me...it's my favorite place to be!

Something about it just brings life to my bones. I was speaking this past Sunday at the church we visited, trying to explain to the congregation what it is about Beth Rapha that i love. During worship that morning, I had been so incredibly overwhelmed by the presence and goodness of God. I had become aware again of the lengths from which he brought me back to Himself, and i was so thankful for my brokenness. If i was perfect, I wouldn't need God, and I LOVE needing Him. I can get as close as i want, He never pushes me away! It's a wonderful feeling, knowing you'll never be rejected.

Then I realized, just as I'm walking to the front of this church to share with them about the statistics of Beth Rapha, the financial situation, etc...I realized then and there that I just wanted to tell them about Jesus at Beth Rapha. So I did. I told them about how honored I am to be allowed to be part of the reparation process going on in the lives of our guys. I love being with the broken, I feel like i finally know where I belong. We long and strive for wholeness, but we find it only in Christ...because of Christ....he is our wholeness. If we break away, we are nothing. We wither and die. But we remain in him, and then we can do ANYTHING!!!

I like being part of a crowd who acknowledges their brokeness. Do you realize how refreshing it is to be with authenticity on a daily basis? The world is so full of cover-ups, half-truths, and values I dont care about. I walk into Beth Rapha, and I see people I can relate to. I see God at work.

Here are a few shots of my Sunday morning...

john preaching.




laughter!




the gang plus/minus: beth rapha, we salute thee!

Comments

  1. really enjoyed this. thanks for writing. Your love for your "work" at Beth Rapha with the people you love so much is a beautiful picture of a missionary/servant's life. dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I feel about nursing. I might end my day tired and achy and complain about being those things but I still love my job to the point it doesn't feel like a "job." I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm so glad you have found something that makes your heart so happy. :) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)

another abundance.