Special Sunday

Today was such a special Sunday. I got a bit of much-needed rest, and then I was able to Skype with my friend Brandon in Cape Town. Hearing a South African accent made me miss my second home significantly. After our chat I was able to spend some great time reading the Bible: The Lord spoke to me from 1 Peter 4.7-11:
"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." (vs 7-9)
These 2 verses became immediately clear as my Moldovan sister Galina and her dear fiancé Cooper needed somewhere to come and eat lunch and hang out before going about their day. They came over and we enjoyed such a fun time of laughing (at my dad mostly! I love having a sibling to joke with) and being together. I also enjoyed a really nice run in the warm Nashville spring air.
The rest of the verses in this section spoke to me throughout the day: "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ." (vs 10-11)
I went to the Missions prayer time at Brentwood Baptist Church, and enjoyed so much seeing how this special group of people commits each Sunday to pray for us missionaries for 2 hours. As I heard them utter the names of my dear friends in South Africa, Asia, and Mexico, I was so aware of how these verses look in real life.
I started thinking what would it be like to be so aware of the words I speak and the actions I show that I am truly relying on God, speaking his words and using his strength. I felt convicted because I sometimes feel tired of the work I do, and I speak with anger or impatience to the people I am supposed to be serving. The Lord showed me that I must rely on Him for all my needs.

I really pray that this coming year in South Africa is one where I am more intentionally ministering as unto Jesus. Like I was at the beginning. Life can become so "normal" and routine, I can become so caught up in the expectations put upon me and I can forget to whom I am meant to be glorfying.

After missions prayer time, I am now at home, having enjoyed a delicious roast dinner prepared by my mom for Cooper, Galina, my dad and I. I am so blessed. My sister sits beside me sewing purposes, and I type this to you. I'm so blessed by the goodness of God.
"To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen" (vs 11)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)

another abundance.