Bird of Prey Reimagined.

For some reason, my sightings of Birds of Prey has increased in the last week. I have seen hawks and eagles flying high in the sky, and sometimes they are in groups of 2 or 3...an incredibly odd sight. I have a thing against these birds. Some of you may not know that when I was 11 years old, my best friend Canaan Thigpen and I saw the remnants of a hawk flying into my backyard and scooping up my pet rabbit, a floppy eared delight named Snuffles, and carrying it off into the sky. So, me and birds of prey...we dont really gel.

But all these sightings reminds me of the presence of God. In my years of therapy, I suppose I have been able to overcome the trauma of that childhood event and reimagine the purpose and glory of these winged creatures. Today, I woke up and the Lord laid Psalm 124 on my heart. I was needing encouragement...

"If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, now may Ashley say, If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us, Then they would have quickly swallowed us up alive, when their wrath was kindled against us; Then the waters would have overwhelmed us and swept us away, the torrent would have gone over us; Then the proud waters would have gone over us. Blessed be the Lord, Who has not given us as prey into their teeth! We are like a bird escaped from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken and we have escaped! Our help is in the name of the Lord who made heaven and earth."

On this post-Thanksgiving morning where I am heart-wide-open to the power of GRATITUDE, I thank The Lord that He stays faithful. Like mountain firmly fixed, so is the Lord my God who is my sure foundation. He has not left me in the cold, slimy hands of darkness but has delighted in delivering me into the Kingdom of light!

And tonight, my parents arrive on the late flight from Amsterdam. As I type they are somewhere high above Africa. Family and friends will be traveling to this point of a continent over this next 35 days because they love me and they love Simon. If that's not something to be grateful for, I dont know what is.


Thank you God for the freedom of knowing Jesus, and the fellowship of those who know Him too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)

another abundance.