Tealy Toothpaste.

😉I love when God smashes into a moment and shows His amazingness! I have such a cool story to share with you all, and it happened last Friday night.

Simon, Penny and I were driving about an hour outside of Cape Town, to a little French mountain town called Franschhoek. This is where Simon's aunt and uncle (Jo and Gary) live, and where I would live too if I could find a justifiable reason to do so…it's such a lovely place! We arrived at their house in time for dinner, but as soon as we walked in, Jo grabbed Simon's attention and convinced him to come into her music studio and listen to some new worship music she has discovered.

Penny and I settled in for the long haul, cause we both know that Jo and Simon love being together and worshipping God. She typically plays the keyboard, and Simon will sing along with her while playing guitar.  They are both such gifted musicians, but both are busy with other endeavors and only get a chance to lead worship on occasion.  Jo herself even said it's been so long since she heard worship music that really moved her spirit.

Suddenly, Simon comes bursting out of the studio requesting my attention. "Ashley, do you know a guy named James Tealy?"

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

Rewind back to 1990. My dad was busy somewhere in his 11-year stint of teaching the college sunday school class at Brentwood Baptist, and leading devotions at Belmont University. This was a very fun time of my life, because I grew up without siblings and these college students were like the brothers and sisters I never had. Christy Ridings, Donna Richardson, Trev Brown, Colin Cooke, Jill Phillips, Julie Williams, Dave Hunt, Andy Gullahorn, Sarah Bedenbaugh, Andy Harding…the list could go on and on! There was one in particular i remember because I have a specific memory attached to him. His name was James Tealy.  James always wore glasses and a tie. It stood out to me that he wore a tie, and I especially remember him being quite tall. As a kid, I would always run up to James and grab his tie and fling it over his shoulder, giggling and running away again (I forgot to mention I had a little-girl-crush on James!).

Fast forward to…Now.  I have never mentioned James Tealy to my husband or his aunt. So, it seems very strange to hear his name coming out of my husbands mouth. I said, "ummm, yes. Why?" He said "Oh, cause Jo found his music online and he's from Nashville."

The story would be only slightly interesting if it ended there. But it doesn't…

"Come, Ashley, hear this amazing story about James Tealy and Jo."

I walk back into the studio, sit down at the keyboard, and listen as Jo tells me her story.  A few weeks prior, Jo had a dream. In her dream she was reaching for a toothpaste called "Tealy". Rows and rows of Tealy toothpaste, just out of her reach. She woke up with such a vivid sense of longing for something she couldn't grasp, and the word "Tealy" clearly in her mind. She got up and googled the word, so convinced that this Tealy had a God-led meaning for her life.

Her google search led her to the Noisetrade website, and James Tealy was offering his worship music there.  She began listening, and started weeping. She went on to tell us this is the first time she has wept over worship music in who knows how long.  The discovery of this man and his music led her to enter a new season of worship herself, writing songs inspired by her dreams, and contacting James to tell him the impact his music has had on her heart. James even emailed her back!

So, here I am, in a cold mountain town, jaw dropped open, listening to the most unlikely series of events. I told them my own story of James Tealy, and showed them his photos on Instagram. The world suddenly seemed as small as the tiny French town I was visiting. I couldn't believe how God had worked…leading Jo into a new season of faith in her ability to hear from God, in her desire to worship him in spirit and truth, in affirming to James his pursuit of music as a way to bless people and honor God, and my family's connections to these two people who are 8,000 miles apart in distance, but connected by the Spirit of God.

I'm sorry, but thats so no coincidence. That's God showing Himself to a whole lot of random people.

I just want to say a special thank you to all those who were part of my family's life during that time where my dad taught the college sunday school class. For you, it was 4 years of your life. But for us Lovell's, it was an era of awesomeness. The ripple effects of that time are still felt in our lives.
………………………..

Julie and Dave Hunt, the impact you've had on my life at Belmont and beyond are immeasurable. Thank you for letting me live with you during a confusing life transition. Thank you for bailing me out of weird situations with Scientologists. Thank you for guiding, teaching, inspiring, nurturing, feeding, and loving me. Thank you for consistently support me from afar. You guys are truly some of the greats this world has left!

Jill and Andy Gullahorn, you guys are the coolest. Thank you for loving Simon and I so much, for understanding us and supporting us. Thank you for your faithfulness to God and one another, and for modeling that to the world.  Thank you for blessing us with goodness each time I come home. Thank you for pursuing what you love despite the sacrifices. Your obedience to God and your giftings has touched thousands of people.

Donna Taylor, wow! So many memories come flooding back! Calligraphy classes, driving classes (you were the coolest), hardy laughs, being a second mom to me. Thank you for caring about every single part of my life for so long. Thank you for continuing to care, and to support me. Thanks for always being there at a moment's notice when I had a banking emergency or question, and for managing my life so well :) I love you.

Christy Ridings, my dad once told me you fasted every Wednesday for an entire year in hopes of praying me out of my rebellious teenage-ness. It worked! Thank you, wow. Your love, commitment, and continued friendship mean the world to me. You are my Spiritual Corona, my guru, the woman who can make me cry in a second (but only cause I can always cry in a second, so stop feeling guilty!). Thanks for being a great friend to all 3 of us. I can't wait to sit on that big red couch!

Sarah Bedenbaugh, I'm gal I came back and added you! Cause God had knit us together through adult-like tragedies and triumphs shared across an ocean. Thank you for knowing how to pray for me during a dark time, and loving me so much! You are very precious.

Trev Brown, you were like the brother I never had. Thank you for giving me an incredible gift. Thanks for fun, for games, for hugs and support. Thanks for being my coach and for investing in me. Your imprint is irreplaceable.

Colin Cooke, thanks for being the funniest human being on the planet! Thank you for treating me like a sister, and for supporting me these last few years along with Amy. Your investment in my life in South Africa has been essential. Thank you for believing in me!

Andy Harding, you were like furniture at our house! We miss you, and love the times we had with you. Thanks for being my brother, for making me laugh and teaching me how to be sarcastic and then laugh my way out of any offense! Ha, you always gave my dad a run for his money…how awesome! We love you.

Brian Watts, thanks for being another brother among the rest, for helping us out with softball, and for being a quiet, steady presence during a very hectic time of life for us.

Christy Jones, I am so thankful we are friends now because you are a beautiful woman. Thank you for investing in my life years after I met you!

There are so many more! But, like Hebrews 11, I gotta stop somewhere. Love to all those who made such an impact on my life. Im so blessed to know you.

And thank you, of course, to James Tealy!


Comments

  1. Love it Ash- you write really well!
    Think I should send the link to James if you haven't already!! Jo:)
    PS so glad that God brought you and Simon together, I see him using you both as a team already!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)

another abundance.