Simon's trip to Myanmar

At the beginning of this year, Ashley and I actually had our hearts set on going to Northern Thailand to partner with a family in Chiang Rai. We are so similar to them when it comes to values, sense of humor and what we think doing missions looks like.  We assumed this is where the LORD wanted us next on mission for Him.  We started planning, praying specific prayers and telling folk about it.  However, when our leaders of that region caught wind of what we were planning, they politely burst our bubble, saying, “Sorry, we think it non-strategic to write a job assignment for Northern Thailand at this point.  We need more missionaries in Shan State, Myanmar.” 

 Of all the places we had explored going in South East Asia, Myanmar was not one of them.  As many of you know, Ashley had been there as a missionary in 2003 for one year before going to South Africa for ten years. To put it plainly, both of us were a little afraid of the prospect.  We were not enthusiastic about how much harder the living conditions would be in Shan State versus most other places one can point to on a world map.  However, reaching beyond our reservations was this desire and sense of urgency to do the Lord’s will regardless the cost.  So, we were stuck.  We wanted to do His will but we didn’t want it to be difficult.  One morning, while we were having breakfast, Ashley came up with a ludicrous idea, “Simon, why don’t you just go to Thailand and Myanmar for two weeks, pray, and while you’re there, hear from God.  Whatever He tells you, I will follow.” With that sort of faith, she should’ve been the one going, but with a mouth-full of eggs, I said, “Sure, that’s a great idea!”  


Two weeks later, February 24th, I was on a plane headed for Thailand.  I was in Thailand for the first week and Myanmar the second.  I had appointments lined up with various missionaries virtually every day that I was away.  The Thai fascinated me.  A frenetically busy and extremely polite people they are.  It’s true that Thailand has a lot of western conveniences fused with a culture so recognizably different from the west.  As intriguing as this all was, I felt like an anxious tourist throughout my time there. I wasn’t quite sure what was causing my angst.  All I could think was that it was my anticipation of going to Myanmar.  I had built up an idea in my mind of what to expect from other people’s experiences.  But with all my best imagination, I still didn’t quite know what to expect.


It was an afternoon when I landed in Yangon.  From the moment I left the airport, Myanmar was everything I had prepared myself for and more.  The drivers were crazy, the traffic was gridlock, the A/C everywhere didn’t quite work.  The water and electricity went on an off, there were no western conveniences like Thailand, and yet, I LOVED IT!  I can’t explain why I loved it but I did.  Even the inconveniences didn’t seem to bother me.  I had a sustained sense of peace and contentment throughout my stay, no matter what was going on.  I really believe this was from the LORD (Phil 4:7).  Most importantly, I connected deeply with the people of Myanmar.  Within days I developed a profound love and compassion for them, and when it was time to leave I was truly sad.  Everywhere I visited, I would speak to the hills and mountains of Shan State, saying, “I look forward to seeing you again soon.”  Kneeling on the floor of my hotel room, on the day before I flew home, I made a decision before the LORD to follow the call to Myanmar.   When I told Ashley of the decision, she too experienced great peace and joy over it.  I took her response as a further confirmation from God.  Seven months from today we aim to be serving Him in Myanmar!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in review (better late than never!)

Passion Cape Town 2012

another abundance.